If you are going to take an interview for a Pharmacy job then you are on the right place!
Interview Questions for Pharmacy Pre-Reg Placements
- Why did you choose to study pharmacy?
- Why do you wish to become a pharmacist?
- Why have you chosen to apply to us?
- Why do you want to work in community/hospital pharmacy?
- Why should we hire you? What is special about you and what makes you different from other applicants?
- How do you measure personal success?
Qualification & Experience related questions
- What subjects did you enjoy most and least on your course?
- Tell me about your work experience
Practice based questions
- Tell me about a drug that has been in the news recently
- What do you think about pharmacists being given prescribing powers?
- Describe the importance of understanding diversity as a pharmacist
- Why is pharmacy considered a profession?
- What are the most important attributes of a pharmacist?
- What is one of the major issues facing pharmacists today?
- Give me an example of drug-drug interaction and explain with the mechanism of action, what would you would do to prevent this
- What are the qualities of good pharmacist?
- What is the role of pre-registration training?
Competency based questions
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an irate patient/customer. How did you handle the situation?
- What kind of decisions do you find it most difficult to make?
- Describe a time when you faced a challenging situation and how you handled it?
- Tell us about a time when you have resolved conflict between yourself and a colleague
- Give an example of time management that has increased your effectiveness
- What is your usual approach to problem solving? What do you do when this doesn’t work?
- Give an example of when you’ve had to communicate effectively to others, whilst working under pressure
- Tell me about yourself
- Tell us about your greatest achievement
- What are your hobbies? What do you do in your free time?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?
- Give three reasons why we should offer you the job?
- Questions about your CV.
The interview was with a community pharmacy and consisted of
- a calculation test
- a presentation which you did on your own with the interviewer and you had to talk about why you deserved a Pre-Registration placement with the company and what skills you could bring to the role of pharmacy manager
- a group presentation which involved solving a scenario based problem. We were given time to discuss this with one another before giving feedback.
For the interview, the interviewer asked questions in relation to what was written in the CV, asking about experience and the university I was studying at. The other questions were as follows:
- Describe one occasion when you felt you provided good customer service
- How do you respond when given negative feedback about your behaviour?
- What does good customer service mean to you? Can you give me an example?
- What has been your greatest achievement so far?
- Describe an occasion when you felt that you showed great team work?
- How do respond to working under pressure?
- How do you think you earn the respect of your staff and patients?
Pfizer Interview for Pre-Reg Pharmacy position
The timetable was as follows:
- 9.40 arrive at Pfizer
- 10.00 Coffee with Peers
- 10.20 Pre-reg overview
- 10.50 HR Information gathering
- 11.10 Technical interview
- 12.10 Depart
The hour long technical interview was split into two parts, personal and technical. I was given a few minutes to review the technical questions.
- Tell us about yourself.
- Hobbies and recreational activities
- Pharmacy experience and what you learned
- Highlights of your pharmacy experience to date
- Low points of your pharmacy experience to date
- What makes a good team?
- Give an example of an experience in a team you found good
- Give an example of an experience in a team you found poor and how would you/did you rectify it?
- Why Pfizer and why this programme?
- What do you particularly want to see on the programme?
- Why should we choose you?
Part 2: 7 questions in total
- A simple calculation (not written or answer needed just how would you solve the following)
- Why would there be a reduced yield % in tablet production (this was in relation to my calculation question)
- What would have to be considered in the formulation of eye drops for glaucoma?
- What is Glaucoma and what is used to treat it?
- Questions regarding therapeutic window, Cmax, Tmax, biopharmaceutical reasons as to why the conc/time plot for a formulation may differ from population to population?
- Why would you not skip straight from pre-clinical testing of a drug straight to phase 3 clinical trials?
- How would you increase the solubility if a drug?
- Proprieties important to aerosol formulation.
Lloyds Pharmacy Interview
He asked about:
- My educational background, my grades at A-levels and at Uni
- Employment background
- A bit about what I’m studying at the moment
- Why community pharmacy? Why not hospital?
- Why Lloyds? Why not the pharmacy I currently worked at?
- Within your friends, are you a leader, a follower, a reflector? Are you very opinionated?
- How would your home friends (not uni friends) describe you?
- How would you resolve a conflict within your friends?
- Have you ever had to tell that pharmacist that they’ve made a mistake? How did you do that?…
And after my ‘Responsible Pharmacist’ presentation, he asked me a situational question: “If you were the branch manager and the RP at the time forgot to sign on in the morning, how would you deal with this if it was the first time? If it had happened more than once?”
Pharmacy students will be able to find all these answers in their MDM notes and Aulton’s Pharmaceutics text available in the library. There were 150 applicants and only 21 were interviewed with only 6 places available so competition was very high.